Thursday, September 12, 2013

Just a Day's Work

The day is finally here and Carter's soccer season has officially begun! He had his first soccer practice today and his first soccer game on Saturday. I might be more excited about this then he is, but I really try to hide it. :)

And Miss Avenly...she didn't get a very good nap today so by the end of Carter's practice she was pretty tired, but bedtime was just two hours away, so I made the decision to keep her awake those few hours. During those hours I had planned to have dinner, have family home evening, and mow the lawn and I was determined.

I don't know whether to say Avenly mowed the lawn for her first time tonight, or brag that I mowed .31 acres with one hand because I was carrying Avenly the whole time...seriously. She was sooo tired. She just walked behind me crying so hard. I laid her down to sleep and she screamed and screamed like never before. I fed her dinner. She ate, but that didn't change anything. Finally after I was halfway through, I remembered my baby sling. That would at least help I figured. And for the rest of the ride, she sat, quietly in the sling, finally falling asleep near the end. And yes, it was dark by that point.

After this experience, I think maybe, if I was asked to do it, I could walk across the plains, because I imagine it would be similar --at least as hot and sweaty-- to mowing the lawn with one hand while carrying a 15-month old. Makes me wonder if pioneer women made baby slings?

August 21, 2013

No comments: